Reading progress update: I've read 38%.

— feeling haha
Prelude to Foundation (Foundation: Prequel, #1) - Isaac Asimov

Hari Seldon has been whisked from the University to a secretive sector on Trantor.

They abhor hair.  I don't know why, but everyone is permanently depilitated when they hit puberty.  I'm wondering how the mothers cope with hairy kids.  Maybe I'll find out.

Anyway, he and his 'better keep her mouth shut until spoken to' female companion are required to cover their hair, so Sunmaster gives them head coverings (and strips for the eyebrows) that will cover their hair.

Hari Seldon is trying to get his on and it keeps snapping off:

"Begin just above your eyebrows," said Sunmaster.  His fingers seemed to twitch, as though eager to help.

Seldon said, suppressing a smile, "Would you do it for me?"

And Sunmaster drew back, saying, almost in agitation, "I couldn't. I would be touching your hair."

I started laughing.  I couldn't help it.  LOL

I'm agreeable to peoples religious, cultural, personal, up to a point political, etc.. beliefs and ways, when in Rome and all that.  But I couldn't help it.  Everything leading up to the head coverings wound up just making him sound so aghast and prissy at having to touch hair.  Especially since he had said more than once that he has dealt with outworlders before.